US Macro Strategy Weekly Report – 31 July 2023
James Ooi/ uSMART Market Strategist
Over 13 years of experience in buy-side and sell-side of capital markets
Former Fund Manager of renowned asset management firm
Focus on fundamental analysis and macro-outlook for US & Singapore markets
SGX Academy trainer
This Week’s Market Outlook:
- This week's significant economic data in the United States includes: the ISM Manufacturing PMI and JOLTS Job Openings report on Tuesday, the ISM Service PMI on Thursday, and the Nonfarm Payrolls report on Friday.
- This week, companies representing 15% of the total market cap of the S&P 500 index will release their financial reports. Several important financial reports will be published on the following dates:
July 31st (Monday): ON Semiconductor, Arista Networks, SoFi
August 1st (Tuesday): Uber, Pfizer, Merck, AMD, Starbucks
August 2nd (Wednesday): Kraft Heinz, PayPal, Shopify, Qualcomm, OXY, Unity, Robinhood, Mercado Libre, Etsy
August 3rd (Thursday): Warner Bros. Discovery, ConocoPhillips, Moderna, Apple, Amazon, Coinbase, Airbnb, Fortinet, Block, Coinbase, Cloudflare
August 4th (Friday): fuboTV, Nikola, Booking, Berkshire Hathaway
- According Factset, 51% of the companies in the S&P 500 index had released their earnings reports, and 80% of them reported higher-than-expected EPS as of last Friday. This has led investors to raise their earnings expectations for 2023 and 2024 to $219.41and $246.11 (Figure 1). The bottom-up target price by analysts for the S&P 500 is 4996.94 over the next 12 months, which is 9% above the closing price of 4,582.
Figure 1: S&P 500’s EPS for 2023 and 2024
Source: Factset, 28 July 2023
- The table (Figure 2) below indicates the years when the S&P 500 returned more than 10% in the first half of the year and had negative performance in the prior year.
- In 87% of the cases, the 2nd half performance resulted in a positive return.
- The average 2nd half performance stands at 12.92%.
- The average 2nd half drawdown is -6.47%, with a median of -5.85% drawdown.
- If history repeats, there is a possibility of the S&P 500 providing a positive return in the second half of 2023. Additionally, the 2nd half average drawdown of -6.47% suggests that dip buyers may be looking at a relatively shallow drawdown to enter the market.
Figure 2: In the year when the S& 500 returned more than 10% in the first half of this year, it was negative in the prior year (Since 1940)
Source: uSMART, Bloomberg, 22 Jul 2023
- In the past 20 years, August's average return for the S&P 500 is 0.08%, with positive returns in 12 of those years (Figure 3).
Figure 3: Monthly performance of the S&P 500 over the past 20 years.
Source: uSMART, Bloomberg, 22 Jul 2023
- The S&P 500 has seen a year-to-date increase of 19.34% and a month-to-date increase of 2.96% in July (Figure 4). It appears probable that the S&P 500 will achieve a 5-month winning streak in July unless it experiences a decline of 2.96% or 136 points tonight. Historically, after experiencing 5 consecutive months of growth, the 12-month average return stands at 10% (Figure 5).
Figure 4: Monthly performance of the S&P 500
Source: uSMART, Bloomberg, 28 Jul 2023
Figure 5: S&P 500 Performance after 5 Straight Up Months
- This week's NAAIM Exposure Index number is 101.82 (Figure 6). As previously mentioned, the S&P 500 may not undergo an immediate correction once the NAAIM index reaches 100. Therefore, investors should avoid overinterpreting the high index number.
Figure 6: NAAIM Exposure Index and S&P 500
Have a financial topic you would like to discuss? Head over to the uSMART Community to share your thoughts and insights about the market! Click the picture below to download and explore uSMART app！
This article is intended for general circulation and educational purpose only and does not take into account of the specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any particular person. You should seek advice from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment products mentioned. In the event you choose not to seek advice from a financial adviser, you should consider whether the investment product in question is suitable for you.
Past performance figures as well as any projection or forecast used in this article, are not necessarily indicative of future performance of any investment products. Your investment is subject to investment risk, including loss of income and capital invested. The value of the investment products and the income from them may fall or rise. No warranty whatsoever is given and no liability whatsoever is accepted for any loss arising whether directly or indirectly as a result of this article. Overseas investments carry additional financial, regulatory and legal risks, you should do the necessary checks and research on the investment beforehand.
The information contained in this article has been obtained from public sources which the uSMART Securities (Singapore) Pte Ltd (“uSMART”) has no reason to believe are unreliable and any research, analysis, forecast, projections, expectations and opinion (collectively “Analysis”) contained in this article are based on such information and are expressions of belief only. uSMART has not verified this information and no representation or warranty, express or implied, is made that such information or Analysis is accurate, complete or verified or should be relied upon as such. Any such information or Analysis contained in this presentation is subject to change, and uSMART, its directors, officers or employees shall not have any responsibility for omission from this article and to maintain the information or Analysis made available or to supply any corrections, updates or releases in connection therewith. uSMART, its directors, officers or employees be liable for any or damages which you may suffer or incur as a result of relying upon anything stated or omitted from this article.
Views, opinions, and/or any strategies described in this article may not be suitable for all investors. Assessments, projections, estimates, opinions, views and strategies are subject to change without notice. This article may contain optimistic statements regarding future events or performance of the market and investment products. You should make your own independent assessment of the relevance, accuracy, and adequacy of the information contained in this article. Any reference to or discussion of investment products in this article is purely for illustrative purposes only, is not intended to constitute legal, tax, or investment advice of any investment products, and must not be construed as a recommendation, an offer or solicitation for the subscription, purchase or sale of the investment products mentioned. This article does not create any legally binding obligations on uSMART. uSMART, its directors, connected persons, officers or employees may from time to time have an interest in the investment products mentioned in this article.